Monday, June 3, 2013

Hello wonderful parents! And a shout out to all others who are reading this email. :)
It's my first P-day! I think it's awesome that our districts P-day is on Friday, it just makes the week seem more normal, since Friday's were usually my break days before. It's great that they still are!
The MTC is insane. There are so many people here! We have strict schedules for everything including when we eat, do laundry, exercise, etc. And we have to follow it to the dot or else there will be overcrowding. Apparently we had twice as many missionaries come in as normal, with around 700 new missionaries entering the MTC on the same day as me. AND, we had SIXTY-EIGHT Korean missionaries come in! We have tripled the size of our Branch! That is just amazing. Also, the fact that four people from Mountain Home are serving in Korea... And i saw both Elder Austin Bodily and Sister Ana Martin! I actually see them pretty often since we, of course, are in the same branch. So that's way cool!
We got to meet our Branch Presidency last night (though I was struggling to pay attention because it felt like three in the morning) and our President is from New Zealand (Lord of the Rings country!) as well as one of the Zone leaders. If I were to learn an accent, I think that one would be the one. :D
As I mentioned, the days are so very VERY long. I thought the first day was bad, but then I had to get up at 6:30am and go go go until 10:30pm and the first day seemed like a blink. By the end of last night we were pretty much sleep walking. I had a humongous headache which started after the three hour Korean class that we had; my mind literally couldn't handle it I guess! haha But I almost have the Korean alphabet down, and once I get that perfected and in my brain, then I will be able to read Korea out loud. Of course I'll have no clue what I'm saying, but it's still useful! Also, I know the basic Humble structure of the Korean sentences (there's three different structures for talking, though the missionaries always should use Humble), it's actually pretty easy to learn, it's just a matter of remembering!
Our Korean teacher is Brother Sung. He was born in Hawaii and raised in Salt Lake. He would go to the Busan area every summer, and served a mission in Seoul. He's way funny, and also very helpful! He notices anything we say, even if it's not to him, and takes that into account when he is teaching.
We have to teach our first lesson to an "investigator" in all Korean TODAY! My companion and I are sooo nervous, so we are going to be planning that for the rest of our free time. We also get to go to the temple later this evening, which will be a great relaxer and give us a chance to clear our mind and get in touch with the Holy Spirit more.
I have loved the atmosphere here! Especially because everyone is so friendly to the new missionaries. You get a bright pink dot on your name tag the first day, so everyone can know you are new, and practically everyone is saying hello and welcome to the MTC. You can take the dot off after the first day, but I'm determined to keep mine on until Sunday, even though everyone keeps telling me I can take it off. But I just love how everyone is so nice to you when you have it on! I still get welcomed all the time by people :)
And I have been able to see so many people that I know! I've seen people from my previous BYU wards, classes, and work. Though I don't think I'll ever see Mariah because she no longer actually lives on the MTC campus, but was moved to the recently added housing across the way.

One really interesting thing that I've noticed here: even those that I'm pretty sure I've never met before all look familiar! It's so weird, like I can't figure out if I HAVE met them before. But then I remember that they didn't look familiar when I first met them, it's just that I feel like I've known them forever. I'm not sure why, but it's the most interesting thing.
My companion is great; she seems very responsible. Her name is Sister Bussio, and she is from Provo and went to BYU for the past two years as well. She is majoring in History (the old stuff like Greek and Roman) and knows Greek and Latin. She could translate those mythology stories I learned about last semester! So cool. We haven't completely connected yet, but we are definitely getting there! Neither of us are the super girly type, so we aren't like doing each other's hair or screaming in high pitches about little things haha and both of us are definitely not used to having someone with us all the time. but I'm excited to get to know her!

So, I lost my CTR ring my very first day--so typical of me right? haha Also, I'm not sure if you found it or not, but I think I must have left my sea-greenish shirt at home, because I can't find it in my luggage anywhere. If I did leave it home, that makes me sad! That was one of my favorites :(
Well, there's lots more to tell, but that would result in a mile-long email, so I'll just keep it the half-mile that it is. :D I love you both, Mom and Dad! Also, I love all of the family, and my awesome friends! Have a fantastic week!
Love,
Sister Christina Segovia

We love you 2!! Hope I did this right!   love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment