Sunday, August 4, 2013

First Week in Korea

 
 
From:Christina Segovia (christina.segovia@myldsmail.net)
Sent:Sun 8/04/13 8:31 PM
Hello my beloved family! I was so so excited to be able to finally
email you today. It feels as if I haven't seen you in fifty years! I
miss you all a ton.

I can just see you all sitting on the edge of your seats waiting to
hear about Korea and my first week in the mission field, so I'll go
ahead and get on with it!

So. I got here almost a week ago, and my first two days were in Busan
at the mission home. We did a proselyting activity the first day
(after we slept, luckily) switching with different trainers. This was
before we knew who was with who. I came to love and admire all of the
trainers I worked with even in the short time I was with them! And I
totally gave away a Book of Mormon, to a lady that was VERY interested
in us. It was awesome! I hope she remembers us.

The second day was when we found out who our trainers were. !! My
trainer is 죄 한나 (Che Hanna) 자매님, She is Korean, but her English is
fluent. She studied at BYU for a couple years. She is awesome! And
pretty amazing at reading people's character. She is already helping
me to improve.

The next big news is my first area. We are in a place called 진주, which
is the "country-side" of Korea. But really it's like Salt lake City.
Not country at all right? And we are the FIRST Sister missionaries in
the area. So, my trainer is not only training me but also
white-washing a new area! What that means is we don't have anything to
go off of. No investigators. No area book. No map. It's all brand new
and blank. We are starting from scratch. Our focus right now is the
ward; We want to gain the members trust, and bring those who are
inactive back to the fold. Which is actually a LOT of people. We met
our ward for the first time yesterday, and its tiny, like the size of
Spanish branch at home. But we looked at the membership records, and
there should be at least 200 people coming to church! So, we've got a
lot of work to do going out and finding them. I know that
strengthening the already existing ward will help us find new
investigators more than anything else.

As expected, I understand little to nothing of what people say. But
I'll get there. The trainees in the companionship are always put in
charge of the phone, so I had to call members to make appointments
with them last night. It was fun/funny! Luckily, the members seem to
understand when I struggle, and they gave me lots of opportunities to
talk in church.

Thank you so much for your love! I'm going to need a lot sent my way
in the next couple weeks. It's going to be hard, but if I keep my
purpose in mind, everything seems easier. I'm here to bring people to
Christ! That's the only thing that could keep me going.

Oh, and to answer your question about our mission president's greatest
qualities-- I would say that their energy is the biggest thing I
noticed. He and his wife have a genuine love of missionary work and
they want their missionaries to be the best that they can be. It's
motivating to see them go around with such a bright attitude!

I love you mom and dad. Here I go, out to serve Korea!

Love, Sister Segovia

No comments:

Post a Comment