Monday, October 21, 2013

New area-Gupo!

Wow, it feels like a lifetime since the last time I wrote you! There's so much to tell you about! First, I'll start off by saying that I am writing this email in my NEW AREA, Gupo! Surprised? Yeah I was too. We got transfer calls this past Thursday, and this was my first actual transfer where one of us would be moving. Trainer and trainee are usually with each other for two transfers (12 weeks) and then they part ways. So the first transfer you know you are both staying. And the second transfer you know one of you is leaving. We were predicting that I would stay in Jinju and Sister Choi Hanna would be the one to transfer out. But... as you can see, that wasn't the case!

So I had to say goodbye to the beloved area that I was raised in, and all the people that I have grown to love. And I had to say goodbye to my amazing trainer! I really think of my first area as my mission hometown, and my trainer raised me to be able to survive on my own and become the missionary that God intends for me to be. So now I'm in my new area with a purpose to fulfill here!

One thing that I must tell you about (and I really promise that I will eventually send you pictures. I mean to but time is limited and now I have to figure out how here) is the baptism that took place yesterday! It was amazing! The Spirit was very strong, and Gladys, the Phillipina who was baptized, has such strong faith in God's plan for her. Her husband bore his testimony in the service, and he said it wasn't a coincidence that Gladys couldn't come to Korea until the exact month that the Sister missionaries came to Jinju. God really does have a plan for every one of His children. He is guiding us and putting every opportunity in front of that He can. But we have to reach out our hand and grab it! He gives us the chance, but we have the agency to take it or leave it. 

This is the biggest thing that I learned in my first area. And honestly I think it's one of the best things to have learned, because now every are that I go to, I will know that there is something I am supposed to do there. Here, in my brand new area, I know I am here for a reason, and I want to fulfill it! That's my job. 

I love you all, and am excited to be able to tell you about the people here next week!

Interesting Fact:
Koreans really don't know much about South America. Sadly, this means that they don't know where Bolivia is when I say my dad is from there, but I still love to tell them anyway! I just have to say it's next to Brazil. :)

"Give light to them that sit in darkness." - Luke 1:79
If you picture it in you head, who would willingly choose to leave their friends in a cave without light, while they held the matches in their pocket? Because that really is how it is. We hold the key to happiness, and who are we to keep it from others?

No comments:

Post a Comment