Monday, August 25, 2014

Rain, rain, go away‏

Come again another day.....
So yeah, I suppose you remember when I said that summer had officially started, about a month ago? Well actually, what happened this summer has been really interesting, and quite fantastic in my opinion. So the actual HEAT of summer only went for about a week at a time, and then there'd be a week of rain, and then a week of HEAT, and so on. And now it seems that summer is pretty much over! This summer has been way way cooler than the years in the past, and for that I am grateful. It happens to be raining right now, as it has been pretty much since I got here, aside from a few days. So as much as being soaked is not the funnest, I'm happy it's not from my own sweat. :)

We got to meet with two of our investigators this past week, and had a wonderful lesson on the plan of salvation. Actually, one of the investigators we are really excited about and praying a lot for because she has told us that she thinks the church is true, and when we taught about the plan of salvation, she really seemed to understand the importance of her choices in this life. So hopefully this next week we will teach about baptism, and perhaps even have a commitment from her! I hope so.. :)

We had quite a few meetings this week, all stacked into the weekend. Friday we went to Busan for a Missionary Leader Coordination Mtg, and then Saturday and Sunday I got to go back to Hogye for a District Conference with a Quorum of the Seventy. That was cool. It was Elder Whiting, who actually came to talk to us missionaries about a year ago. All of the missionaries were kind of surprised, because what we remembered from our meeting from him was that he was super intense and kind of scary. But in this meeting, he was hilarious and just making jokes and such. It was really interesting to see his different approach from a year ago to us missionaries to now while talking to the members. 

Anyway, I'm enjoying it here. :) And plus, I don't think I told you but we have a trainee Elder in our area, and he is super cute! Haha he literally just graduated college, high school, and then came, so he's still 18. Ahh it's so fun having an American trainee. And there's so many of them! In fact, there's a ton now, and TWENTY-ONE coming in next transfer. Soooo there's a very big chance that I will be training for my last two transfers, though if that doesn't end up happening I will be quite okay. Anyway, Elder Kunde is his name, and he's from Utah. :) His companion is Elder Richardson, who goes home at the same time as me. So we are having a lot of fun in our four-man team! 

I'm glad to hear that everything is going well! Dad, I didn't know you were still doing the English class! That's really great. :) I'll remember that now when I teach English, and be like, dad is doing the same thing! :D

Interested in Koreans?
Something I've actually started adopting, which I'm not sure I'm happy about, is the habit of talking to myself. In Korea, it's completely normal to talk to yourself. In fact it's like the language was designed so that you could talk to yourself. So yes, I have indeed started doing what I thought was so weird in my Korean companions, asking questions to myself and making little remarks about what's going on around me. But don't worry, if I do it when I get home it will be in Korean, so I won't look like a super weirdo, just someone speaking a weird language. lol

I love you all so much! Have a wonderful week <3 <3
Sister Segovia


So instead of a scripture line, I wanted to say a little more of what we learned from Elder Whiting. He told a really great story about one of his plane rides. He makes it a point to always have pamphlets from our church ready when he rides planes so he can talk to the people that sit next to him. He was ready and waiting on a plane, when all the seats filled up except the seat next to him. He had prayed that God would send him someone he could talk to, so he was wondering what would happen, when the very last person walked on the plane. As he saw who was walking to the seat next to him, he started laughing. There came a 75-year-old nun dressed in the full outfit. He did indeed talk to her about many things, including her beliefs and his own. She did not want any of his pamphlets, and yet he was still able to show his love and admiration for her commitment to follow Christ in the way that she knew. He then said something I really liked: "Sometimes sharing the gospel is more to make us strong than it is to convert." Yes, we should always be looking for ways to share. But when we do share and get rejected, that doesn't mean that God isn't guiding us. Maybe the reason we were supposed to talk to that person wasn't to see immediate results in them. No matter what their decision is, we can see the change in our own selves immediately. It's just about sharing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment