Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Korean Thanksgiving

Yep, so this past week was Chusok, the Korean version of Thanksgiving.
And it will be my interesting fact of the week. It's three days long,
where people just eat and eat and eat some more. Everyone gathers with
their family, and it's great fun for the kids because they get to play
for three days. But apparently it's stressful for the moms because
they are the ones cooking. The food is amazing though! We were lucky
this past week because we actually had appointments! Often
missionaries have nothing to do because we aren't supposed to make
appointments for those days, or tract or anything. But we were able to
get appointments, and we ate with three different families!

We had 추석 lunch with a South American couple who are 7th Day
Adventist. They also had friends over, including someone we had met
last month but hadn't been able to see her again. So that was a
miracle! They are some of the nicest people, and the food (lentils :D)
reminded me of home.

Then that night we had dinner with a less-active family and brought
ribs that my companion had received from her mom, and a cake. Two very
special-occassion foods for missionaries. That and the fact that we
were providing a service to this family, who had nowhere to go for the
holidays, made the meal feel like a feast!

The next day we were able to eat actual 추석 food cooked by our bishop's
wife. I can now say that I have had eel soup! It was... fishy. haha
But the rest of the meal was super yummy!

Okay enough about eating. There's something else more important that I
did this past week. I had a change of heart and a change in attitude.
A change that will affect the rest of my future! I was able to find
the article about the 4 missionaries that I talked about in my last
letter. It's called, "The Fourth Missionary" by Lawrence E Corbridge
and it is one of the most inspiring things I have ever read. I
encourage all to read it; there's things in there that help more than
just missionaries!

So here's what I learned. I have the potential to become the best of
the best. I have always had that potential. God has given me talents
and abilities, and I need to use them! As Brother Corbridge said,
"Your life's greatest work is you." Who am I? When I look back at what
I have been given, am I proud of what I've done with it? That is when
I realized, God did not send me here to be mediocre! In the past, I
was okay with mediocre, unwilling to put forth effort to become more.
But I can do better than that. And I am determined to! For the rest of
my mission, in school, in life, I want to be MORE. I want to do the
MOST that I can.

Yep! So that's what happened! Let it be said that this week was when
Christina Segovia changed the course of her life. :)

I love you all more than I can express! Keep moving forward.
Love, Sister Segovia

No comments:

Post a Comment