Thursday, December 5, 2013

Wooooooowwwwww......... I just wrote the whole letter, and then
accidentely pressed "Discard"! Ahhh! Okay, here I go again.

Happy Late Thanksgiving! I did in fact find out that I hadn't missed
it after all, and we ordered chicken that night, which is pretty close
to turkey. It actually was transfer-call day, which all the
missionaries have a tradition to eat chicken on transfer-call day, so
we already were planning on it!

Speaking of tranfer calls, can you believe I'm in my fourth transfer?
And this past Friday was my 6 MONTH MARK! So I'll be seeing all of you
in a year! Crazy right? And I still don't know Korean! But this
transfer I have a Korean companion and am going to a new area called
대신-Deshin. Which I have heard sooo many stories about. There's this
grandma that all Korean members know about, known as the "Deshin
Grandma" (in Korean) who feeds the missionaries so much food that they
feel as if they will die afterwards. Haha! But really, I have heard
some... funnny stories. So I go to Deshin with excitement and a little
bit of dread at the idea of having to eat so much. Maybe it's a good
thing I did so many hikes in Gupo! haha

So here is an insert from my letter to my mission president, about my
last transfer:

"I'm about to head to my new area in 대신! Not going to lie, I
definitely wasn't expecting to get the call to transfer. But I think
it really is the right thing for me. I absolutely loved the members in
Gupo, and was able to learn SO much from them and our Elders. But as
far as finding investigators..... Ah! I definitely need to be better
about forgetting myself. Gupo kind of died while I was there, and I'm
sorry. :/ I feel so bad, because everything fell apart! We lost all
our investigators, and the English class crashed. I hope it wasn't
completely because of me, but I know I could have done better to keep
it from happening.

I am so thankful though, that I did get to serve there with Sister
Freeman. She was an amazing companion, and the Elders we worked with
are awesome as well! I think the biggest thing I learned in Gupo was
how to really show my love for members and our fellow missionaries.
Now, for this next transfer, I hope to learn how to show my love for
the people on the street too!"

But really, the members were awesome. And the young women! I love them
so much! They would send us scriptures or little cute texts all the
time, and one called me to say goodbye this morning. They are going to
be such amazing missionaries! The biggest miracle from this past
transfer would be how quickly I was able to bond with them.

Dad, I want to say thank you for taking care of the Elders at home! I
can just imagine how much they love helping with the bonfire; those
kind of things are a missionary's dream! Haha but really, we love
helping people with big projects like that. :)

Also, do you know if Caom's family ever got my letter? I sent it
forever ago, like four months, and I hope it didn't get lost in the
mail! That's so exciting that it was Cami's birthday! Happy Birthday
Cami! Love you!

Also, guess what this month is?? That's right, CHRISTMAS! And you know
what that means? I get to call you! I've no details yet, just giving
you a heads-up.

Love you!

Sister Segovia

What about Korea?
In Korean culture, they use the term "friend" much differently than
us. Age is very important to them. If you are born in the same year,
you have a bond already and instantly become friends, but you can't
ever be "friends" with someone older or younger than you. Don't get me
wrong, you can talk to them and such, but they just don't use that
term when referring to them. It's a little different, but yeah, age is
very important to Koreans.

Speaking of friends... Here's the scripture of the week:
"Ye are my friends." - John 15:14
I actually love the entire column this verse is in, because it's all
about God's love for us. Even though this idea of us being friends
with Christ is foreign to Koreans, it's how we need to think of Him.
He did everything for us; He is the best friend that we could ever
have. I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ more than I could ever
say, and I don't even come close to 1% of the love that They have for
me--for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment